The Ministry of External affairs internship program provides an excellent opportunity for budding students to familiarize themselves with the formulation of foreign policy and its implementation by the Government of India. Interns shall report to and work under the concerned Head of Division (HOD). They may be required to conduct research, write reports, analyze evolving developments, or carry out any other task entrusted to them by the HOD/HOM/HOP at the Ministry.
For an internship at the Ministry of External Affairs, the headquarter candidate should be an Indian citizen with a maximum age of 25 years as of 31 December of the year of internship. The candidate should be completed graduation from a recognized university.
Intake and duration
The Ministry of External Affairs will offer internships every year in two terms of six months each viz.
- January – June and
- July – December.
The Ministry will engage a maximum of thirty interns during each term. Every intern will be involved for a maximum period of 3 months.
Obligation of Intern
- The internship program produces an introduction to the process of formulation of foreign policy and its implementation by the Government of India.
- Each intern will be assigned specific work topics by the concerned Head of Division (HOD) and may be required to conduct research, write reports, analyze evolving developments or carry out any other task entrusted to them by the HOD.
- At the end of the internship, each intern shall submit a detailed report on the work carried out and, if required, make a presentation on it. During the training, the study’s outcome will remain as intellectual property of the Ministry of External Affairs, and interns shall not use it without prior approval.
- The intern shall maintain complete confidentiality and secrecy of any information relating to the Ministry of External Affairs.
Perks and Remuneration
- A remuneration of INR 10,000 per month will be paid to each intern to defray basic costs.
- Cost of one-time to and from air travel subject to a ceiling of the prevailing economy class airfare between the State capital and Delhi, from the domicile State, or the college/university of the selected candidates will be provided.
- The interns would be responsible for their board and lodging in Delhi during the period of their internship
- The selection process will be entirely online at www.internship.mea.gov.in with applications, scrutiny, selection, allocation of Division, notification, extension, and certification to be managed on a dedicated internship portal. Each candidate needs to register on the internship portal and obtain access credentials to participate in the process.
- The selection process will consist of two stages viz. Preliminary Screening and Personal Interview. The process will follow a ‘quota cum weightage’ system whereby applicants belonging to 14 States and 4 Union Territories will be considered in each term as per the table below:
|Term I(Jan-Jun)||Andhra Pradesh, Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Goa, Gujarat, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Jharkhand, Karnataka, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra||Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Chandigarh, Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu, Delhi|
|Term II(Jul-Dec)||Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Odisha, Punjab, Rajasthan, Sikkim, Tamil Nadu, Telangana, Tripura, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, West Bengal||Jammu and Kashmir, Ladakh, Lakshadweep, Puducherry|
- As per the above table, in each term, there may be 2 interns from each of the 14 States and 2 interns from the 4 Union Territories put together, with 30% – 50% being filled by women candidates. Weightage will be based on academic performance assessed by the percentage of marks obtained in +2 and graduation exams.
- Candidates should apply online. State-wise merit lists will be prepared – separately for male and female candidates – by elimination based on academic performance in +2 and graduation exams. Priority will be given to applicants from TADP districts. The total number of candidates called for interview will be three times the interns to be engaged in each term.
- Candidates selected in the merit lists will be called for personal interview to be conducted by videoconferencing. A maximum of 30 candidates will be selected from the interview process and offered internships. If any selected candidates opt-out, the next candidates on the merit list will be offered the opportunity.
|10 March 2021||Call for applications for 2021 Term I|
|30 March 2021||Deadline for receiving applications|
|02 April 2021||Announcement of shortlisted candidates and calls for interview|
|5 April 2021– 9 April 2021||Interviews (Over virtual mode)|
|13 April 2021||Announcement of selected candidates|
|16 April 2021||Allocation of Divisions|
|30 April 2021||Start of internships 2021 Term I|
How to Apply?
Interested applicants can apply for the internship through the link below:
Address: Ministry of External Affairs
South Block New Delhi-110011